Monday, July 20, 2009

Relocation and Dislocation

Before I start my second one, I would like to thank those who read my first post and commented, those who read it but refrained from commenting and then I reserve my choicest words of appreciation to those who just chose to ignore it ;). My apologies to everyone (I don’t know how many) who were looking forward to read my next one. This one is delayed but not without a reason; I have not been able to get the internet connection activated in the new accommodation.

You would know that I was looking out for a new accommodation in "Good?gaon" . I had been searching in vain for 2 weeks for an accommodation. And when just last 3 days of my notice period remained and when I had almost given up my search of a good accommodation for a reasonable rent, I found to my pleasant surprise, an accommodation to my satisfaction and decided to shift on the weekend. My faith in providence just got stronger :).

As I started packing my things, the whole task looked like a piece of cake, but then soon it assumed humungous proportions. I somehow managed to get most of the things into cartons. New & old, Useful & waste things shoved into the storage spaces started tumbling out and soon I ran out of packing material. I decided to leave the packing and just put the many small things into plastic bags and get it to the new place.

By the evening I just about managed (or mismanaged) to transport and dump the things in the new place. As I sat in the house famished, I realized that I had just shifted some one kilometer away and yet, the whole exercise had left me exhausted.

I atleast had a one month’s notice to find myself a new shelter. But does everyone get this much time? Helpless people in strife torn, war ravaged areas are forced to move without any notice whatsoever! Every day might bring a possibility of packing up whatever is left of their belongings and moving to another place, another refugee camp. A place which they know would not be any better than their previous one where even getting the basic necessities might seem to be a luxury.

How hard it would have been to just abandon a place which they called their house, a place where they had dreamt of having a good life, a place where they had experienced unbounded happiness of being with their loved ones where innumerable memories, happy and sad existed in every nook and corner.

Why has life been so harsh on them? I don’t know but I am sure it is for no fault of theirs.

Is it possible that groups of people fighting against each other realize that war does not bring about any solution? When would they realize that it would just worsen the situation of those very people for whom they are supposedly fighting? Can people work in unison to end the miseries of such populace?

There are only questions but no answers at the moment. We can only hope that a time would come when every human being can have one small piece of land for himself and for which he need not go to battle with another.


PS:
One of the movies that kindled this thought in me was the Tamil movie “Kannathil Muttamittal” which so effectively depicted the situation in Sri Lanka .A song in this brings out the emotions of the masses departing from their village:
“Vidai kodu endhan naade, kadal vaasal thelikum veede, panamaram kaade, paravaigal koode..varumurai orumurai paarpomaa?…….”
Farewell my country, where the sea washes my front door, these palm groves, these birds’ nests..will I ever see them again?…..

3 comments:

  1. wooowwwww...good post..i can very well relate to this since i recently shifted to a new place too.yep but to do it all alone bravo my bro bravo!!

    and that song...i soo love it...i jus saw the movie again for i dunno mabbe the 100th time and still managed to cry(well i really don reason to cry tho :) )..

    all in all i liked the way u related to such a tragic situation...there are things that we can probably do to help such people... and m really touched by the fact that you actually thot about them and dedicated a post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Philosophical yet again.. Is it the new house that is making you so philosophical ;)... I think you must relocate again then....

    I must say, I am deeply touched with your thoughts on this issue and the fact that you have dedicated you second blog to this issue! In your words, I really really appreciate it! ;)

    I can understand the pain in shifting, having done that umpteen number of times.. I think that's our family parampara, there is no end to it...

    It's a shame that I am yet to see this great movie yet, but yes it is really heartbreaking to see such events happening in real .. In the name of getting hold of some extremists, so many lives are put in jeopardy... War never has or never will do anything Good.. Just worsens the already worse situations .. I just wish that the so called super power nations realize this and lay a foundation stone to a better World!

    Woyla, I am joining you in your philosophical thoughts too.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice thought!! All these fights and things which disrupt the world are all cos of us.. i mean.. we created it all.. it is all there in the mind! language, my place to live etc etc.. people tend to make sense out of some sound!! some scribbling like what i did now.. Anyway keep such blogs coming :)

    ReplyDelete